Cowgirl Tennis Falls Short Against Denver Pioneers, 5-2
March 2, 2013
DENVER, Colo. -
The Wyoming tennis team had a tough outing following their win Thursday as they fell to the Denver Pioneers, 5-2, on Friday night in Denver. They are now 5-4 overall this spring.
"Give credit to Denver, they had a game plan and executed it," said head coach Dean Clower. "This was a hard fought battle and we came up on the short end of it. We have to be able to adapt a little more in situations we are comfortable with. We have a few things to clean up on before our next match. I know this team we will learn from the match and be stronger for it."
It was a battle in doubles play as Denver took two of the three matches to earn the point. The only team to earn a victory on the day was Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova. They defeated Caroline Schnell and Charlotte Derbyshire, 8-3. At the number, Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova lost in a tough tiebreaker, 9-8 (4) to Sophia Bergner and Steffi Rath. The Pioneers would win the first point with Emma Isberg and Mandy van den Eerenbeemt defeating Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova, 8-5.
The Cowgirls had a struggle in singles as they won only two matches and had three matches go the distance were they came up short. Nemcova won her match, 7-6, 6-3, over van den Eerenbeemt, while Parizher was the other Cowgirl to win her match, 6-1, 6-3, over Kathryn Hughes. At the number one spot, Popovici fell behind in the first set 6-4 to Bergner, came back won the second 6-3, but lost 6-1 in the third. It was the same for Synkova as she rallied in the second to even up the match, 6-2, 3-6. She as well lost 7-5 in the third set to Schnell. Kovacs lost in her three set contest, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2 to Isberg. The final Cowgirl in action was Christa Gecheva who fell in two sets, 6-1, 6-1, to Steffi Rath.
The Cowgirls will be out on the road for one more match next week. They will face the Utah Utes, on Tuesday, March 5, in Salt Lake City.
Denver 5 Wyoming 2
1. Sophia Bergner (DU) def. Veronica Popovici (WY), 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
2. Caroline Schnell (DU) def. Simona Synkova (WY), 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
3. Emma Isberg (DU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WY), 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (DU) 7-6, 6-3
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Kathryn Hughes (DU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Steffi Rath (DU) def. Christa Gecheva (WY) 6-1, 6-1
1. Bergner/Rath (DU) def. Popovici/Synkova (WY), 9-8 (4)
2. Isberg/van den Eerenbeemt (DU) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) 8-5
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Schnell/Charlotte Derbyshire (DU), 8-3