Falcons Blank Portland State 7-0
March 4, 2012
The Air Force women's tennis team won its fourth consecutive match and second straight on the road this weekend with a dominating 7-0 victory over Portland State Sunday in Vancouver, Wash. With the victory, Air Force improved to 12-3 this season, while PSU fell to 2-10.
The Falcons swept all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. AFA's No. 2 team of junior Hannah Dake and freshman Natasha Rizvi blanked the Portland State team of Megan Govi and Marina Todd, 8-0. Air Force won the other two doubles matches each by an 8-4 score.
Air Force kept the momentum through the singels matches, winning five of the six in straight sets. Junior Melissa Cecil downed Audrey Farr, 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot, while junior Christine Molina handled Marti Pellicano, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2. Freshman Tiffany Tran followed suit at No. 3 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Govi and senior Tahlia Smoke won the No. 4 match by the same score over Alexa McDonald.
Dake was pushed a little in the second set by Todd but hung on for a 6-2, 7-6(1) win at No. 5 and sophomore Anastasia Hueffner rallied to preserve the shutout with an 0-6, 6-4, (10-8) victory voer Nayanatara Vadali at the No. 6 position.
"It was great to win on the road in such convincing fashion," said Air Force coach Kim Gidley. "It is tough to win on the road, but we had a huge help was our fan base of family and friends who outnumbered both sets of fans at both schools this weekend. This team is something special."
The Falcons return to the Northwest in a couple of weeks to face Seattle University (March 16) and Eastern Washington (March 17).
Air Force 7, Portland State 0
March 4, 2012
1. Smoke / Cecil (AF) def. Farr / Pellicano, 8-4
2. Dake / Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Govi / Todd, 8-0
3. Tran / Molina (AF) def. McDonald / Vadali, 8-4
Order of Finish - 2, 1, 3
1. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Audrey Farr, 6-3, 6-3
2. Christine Molina (AF) def. Marti Pellicano, 6-3, 6-1
3. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Megan Govi, 6-3, 6-1
4. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Alexa McDonald, 6-3, 6-1
5. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Marina Todd, 6-2, 7-6 (1)
6. Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Nayanatara Vadali, 0-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 1, 5, 6