'Dogs Defeat Nevada 5-2 For First MW Win
March 9, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
RENO, NEV. --- The Fresno State women's tennis team picked up its first-ever Mountain West victory with strong play from the bottom half of the lineup Saturday afternoon as the 'Dogs defeated Nevada 5-2.
"It was very tough conditions today," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "While nobody felt great in the cold and altitude, we still found another way to win. We will continue to find our groove and play together as a team."
The 'Dogs got on the board first by winning the doubles point with wins from two freshman-senior duos. Freshman Anneka Watts teamed with senior Olga Kirpicheva on court three to take the first doubles match and their third straight victory together 8-5.
Nevada countered at the top spot with an 8-5 victory. Clinching the point for Fresno State was the duo of freshman Rana Sherif Ahmed and senior Melissa McQueen, who won a closely contested match 8-6 at No. 2, also for their third straight win.
As singles action began, the Wolf Pack tied the score as Michelle Okhremchuk topped Ahmed 6-0, 6-1. Freshman Sophie Watts put the 'Dogs back on top 2-1, cruising 6-1, 6-3 on court four. Twin sister Anneka notched her second win of the day as she rolled with an identical score at No. 6.
Nevada's Emma Verberne closed the gap to 3-2 with a close win at the second spot.
Two senior 'Dogs found a way to close out the match in winning fashion to give Fresno State the 5-2 victory. Bianca Modoc clinched the match by bouncing back from dropping the first set 6-4, and persevering to take the next two sets 6-1, 6-4. Her classmate, McQueen rounded out the wins for Fresno State by notching her third straight singles victory 4-6, 6-3, 7-6.
"Kudos to the team today for persevering and not giving up," Stotland said. "It was great to make history today by winning our first Mountain West conference match and we are happy with where we are headed."
The 'Dogs now begin a stretch of six straight home matches at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The stretch begins next Saturday, March 16 as Fresno State will face Cal Poly at 12 p.m.
Fresno State 5, Nevada 2
1. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-0, 6-1
2. Emma Verberne (NEV) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-3, 6-4
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Sophie Stevens (NEV) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Shelia Smiley (NEV) 6-1, 6-3
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Monika Magusiak (NEV) 6-1, 6-3
1. Michelle Okhremchuk/Emma Verberne (NEV) def. Aishwarya Agrawal/Bianca Modoc (FS) 8-5
2. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Sophie Stevens/Juliette Legendre (NEV) 8-6
3. Anneka Watts/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Shelia Smiley/Monika Magusiak (NEV) 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles: 3,1,2. Singles: 1,4,6,2,5,3
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Be sure to LIKE Fresno State Athletics on Facebook and follow your Bulldogs on Twitter (@FSAthletics).