Tennis recap: Colorado State slides by Highlanders, 4-3
March 13, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
RIVERSIDE, Calif. - The Colorado State women's tennis team defeated the UC Riverside Highlanders, 4-3, Tuesday afternoon at the SRC Tennis Courts.
After experiencing tough losses in doubles, the Rams (3-6, 0-0 MW) were able to turn things around as they went on to win four of the six singles matches.
Coming off victorious for CSU was Tori Arneson at No. 1, defeating Taylor Raney, 7-5, 6-3. Following her lead was Natalie Heffron at No. 3, Kaley Schultz at No. 4 and Adriana Wojakowska to ensure the Rams’ win over the Highlanders (2-10, 0-4 BW).
The Rams dropped their first point of the dual after being defeated in two of three in doubles matches. Arneson and Kaley Schultz were first to fall as the Highlanders’ Jamie and Raney won their match, 9-8. The pair’s loss was followed by an 8-5 loss by CSU’s Emese Kardhordo and Lauren Mulhern to Natalie McKay and Kat Saltarelli. Despite falling at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions, Colorado State was able to stop the Highladers from sweeping the Rams in doubles and came back at No. 3, where Adriana and Veronika Wojakowska defeated their opponents, 8-2.
Colorado State will return to the courts again Wednesday afternoon in a matchup against UC Irvine in Irvine, Calif.
Colorado State 4, UC Riverside 3
1. Raney/Raney (UCR) def. Arneson/Schultz (CSU) 9-8
2. McKay/Saltarelli (UCR) def. Kardhordo/Mulhern (CSU) 8-5
3. Wojakowska/Wojakowska (CSU) def. Pattugalan/Bergeson (UCR) 8-2
1. Tori Arneson (CSU) def. Jamie Raney (UCR) 7-5, 6-3
2. Kat Saltarelli (UCR) def. Lauren Mulhern (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Natalie Heffron (CSU) def. Natalie McKay (UCR) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kaley Schultz (CSU) def. Taylor Raney (UCR) 7-5, 6-1
5. Courtney Pattugalan (UCR) def. Emese Kardhordo (CSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) def. Kate Bergeson (UCR) 6-1, 6-2