Cowgirl Tennis Struggles Against 19th Ranked Notre Dame
March 15, 2012
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The 59th ranked Wyoming Tennis team had a tough outing as they were defeated by the 19th ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 7-0, on Thursday afternoon. The Cowgirls are now 8-5 on the season in dual action.
"Simona and Veronica played some high level doubles today," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "I was really excited to see them create opportunities for themselves during the match. We have been talking all spring about taking chances and creating for themselves, which they did. Notre Dame is a well-coached team, they came out early in singles and didn't let us play. We will have to move on and be ready for Hawaii as they are a tough challenge as well."
The only match that the Cowgirls came away with on the day was by the doubles team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici. They earned a tremendous win over the number one team in the country Kristy Frilling and Shannon Matthews, 8-7 (3). Jennifer Kellner and Chrissie McGaffigan earned an 8-4 win over Sasa Nemcova and Alexandra Kovacs while notching the point with Britney Sanders and Julie Sabacinski beating Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova, 8-4.
Wyoming struggled in singles action as the Fighting Irish took all six matches. At the number one spot, 49th ranked Matthews defeated Popovici, 6-1, 6-2, followed by the 84th ranked Frilling over Synkova, 6-3, 6-4. Kovacs fell to Kellner, 6-3, 6-1, while Sanders swept Nemcova, 7-5, 6-1. Notre Dame closed things out with McGaffigan beating Parizher, 6-4, 6-2, and Sabacinski winning, 6-1, 6-2, against Zhelyazkova.
The Cowgirls will close out the weekend on Saturday, March 17, as they face the Hawaii Rainbow Wahine. The match is set for 1:00 p.m. MT.
#19 Notre Dame 7, #59 Wyoming 0
1. #61 Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Kristy Frilling/Shannon Matthews (ND), 8-7 (3)
2. Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Sasa Nemcova/Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 8-4
3. Britney Sanders/Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 8-4
1. #49 Shannon Matthews (ND) def. Veronica Popovici (UW), 6-1, 6-2
2. #84 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Simona Synkova (UW), 6-3, 6-4
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 6-3, 6-1
4. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Sasa Nemcova (UW), 7-5, 6-1
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Jessica Parizher (UW), 6-4, 6-2
6. Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW), 6-1, 6-2