70th Ranked Wyoming Tennis Wins Conference Opener Over Air Force, 6-1
March 16, 2013
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Cowgirl tennis team opened up the Mountain West Conference season with a 6-1 victory over the Air Force Academy Falcons on Saturday afternoon. They are now 6-5 overall and 1-0 in MW play this spring.
"We played so professionally today," said Wyoming coach Dean Clower. "We knew we were playing a hot team. They came in with seven or eight straight wins, so it was great to see us get the win over a good team. We played with composure and looked solid. We have great leaders on this team. The way Sasa grinded out the win, you can always count on her to bring it and she did it again today."
The Cowgirls got back on track in doubles play as they took all three matches to win the doubles point. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova defeated Christine Molina and Natsha Rizvi 8-3 to open up the day. That was followed by Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova also earning an 8-3 win over Tiffany Tran and Magday. The team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova wrapped things up with their 8-5 victory against Melissa Cecil and Hannah Dake.
The momentum stayed with Wyoming in singles action as they took five of the six matches to win the match. Kovacs earned the Cowgirls second point of the day with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Dake. She was followed by Popovici at the number one spot and her straight set win, 6-1, 6-3, over Molina. Synkova clinched the match for Wyoming with her 6-2, 6-2 victory against Tran. At the number four spot, Nemcova had a solid 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) win over Rizvi while Pairzher won 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) against Cecil. In the final match of the day, Mary Myers won in three sets, 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (10-8), against Christa Gecheva.
The Cowgirls head to California next week to take on Cal State Fullerton on Thursday, March 21, Long Beach State on Friday, March 22 and UC Irvine on Sunday, March 24.
#70 Wyoming 6 Air Force 1
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Christine Molina (AF), 6-1, 6-3
2. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Tiffany Tran (AF), 6-2, 6-2
3. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Hannah Dake (AF) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Natasha Rizvi (AF), 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Melissa Cecil (AF), 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Christa Gecheva (UW), 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (10-8)
Singles Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Cecil/Dake (AF), 8-5
2. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) def. Molina/Rizvi (AF), 8-3
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Tran/Magday (AF), 8-3
Doubles Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1