Wyoming Tennis Drops Match, 6-1, Against Hawaii
March 17, 2012
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The 59th ranked Wyoming Tennis team closed out their three match road swing with a 6-1 loss against the 58th ranked Hawaii Rainbow Wahine. The Cowgirls drop to 8-6 in dual action this spring.
"Hawaii came out strong today in doubles," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "We went down early and then had too big of a hole to climb out of. We have a few things to work on but I know this group will be back on track this week for conference action."
The Cowgirls got behind early as they lost two of three doubles matches to begin the day. The only team to come away with a win was Sasa Nemcova and Alexandra Kovacs who beat Katrina Poljakova and Xenia Suworowa, 9-8 (7). Barbara Pinterova and Jamie Pawid defeated the number one team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici, 8-5. Hawaii earned the point with Aglae Van den Bergh and Martina Kostalova beating Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova, 8-5.
It was a tough go for the Cowgirls as well in singles action as they won just one out of the six matches. Freshman Zhelyazkova defeated Van den Bergh in three sets, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1, for the only win on the day for Wyoming. Popovici won the first set, 7-5, but lost 6-4, 10-3 over the next two sets against Pinterova. Poljakova won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, over Synkova, while Kovacs fell to Pawid, 6-2, 6-3. Nemcova fell in a tough three set match, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, to Martina Kostalova, while Parizher was defeated by Suworowa, 7-5, 6-4 to close out the day.
The Cowgirls will now begin Mountain West play this upcoming weekend. They will kick things off against the UNLV Rebels, on Saturday, March 24, followed by the San Diego State Aztecs, on Sunday, March 25. Both matches will be played in San Diego, Calif.
#58 Hawaii 6, #59 Wyoming 1
1. Barbara Pinterova/Jamie Pawid (UH) def. #61 Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (UW), 8-5
2. Sasa Nemcova/Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Katrina Poljakova/Xenia Suworowa 9-8 (7)
3. Aglae Van den Bergh/Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 8-5
1. Barbara Pinterova (UH) def. Veronica Popovici (UW), 5-7, 6-4, 10-3
2. Katarina Poljakova (UH) def. Simona Synkova (UW), 6-1, 6-0
3. Jamie Pawid (UH) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 6-2, 6-3
4. Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Sasa Nemcova (UW), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Xenia Suworowa (UH) def. Jessica Parizher (UW), 7-5, 6-4
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Aglae Van den Bergh, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1