Wyoming Tennis Begins Road Swing With 7-0 Win Over Titans
March 21, 2013
FULLERTON, Calif. -
The Cowgirl tennis team opened up their three-match road trip with a 7-0 victory over Cal State Fullerton Titans, on Thursday afternoon. They are now 7-5 overall and 1-0 in MW play this spring.
"We were very tough to beat today," said head coach Dean Clower. "The team was very strong at every position. Also, a big congratulations to Sasa Nemcova for becoming the all-time leader in singles wins."
Wyoming had a solid start to the day as they won two of the three doubles matches to win the first point. Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova defeated Tiffany Mai and Monica Rodriguez, 8-4. Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova clinched the point with an 8-3 win over Megan Sanford and Rebekkah Ermac.
The momentum stayed with Wyoming in singles action as they swept all six matches to win the match. Popovici battled Morgan McIntosh to a 6-1, 3-6, (14-12) win followed by Synkova with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Tiffany Mai. At the number three position, Kovacs defeated Slevcove in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2., while senior Sasa Nemcova became the all-time leader in singles wins (69) with her 6-2, 6-3 victory against Rodriguez. The final two Cowgirls in action were Parizher with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Sandford and Christa Gecheva earning a 6-1, 6-1 win at the sixth spot against Ermac.
The Cowgirls continue their week against the Long Beach State 49ers on Friday, March 22 and UC Irvine on Sunday, March 24.
Wyoming 7 Cal State Fullerton 0
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSUF), 6-1, 3-6, (14-12)
2. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Tiffany Mai (CSUF), 6-2, 7-5
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSUF), 6-4, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSUF), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Megan Sandford (CSUF), 6-3, 6-3
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSUF), 6-1, 6-1
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSUF), 8-5
2. McIntosh/Slevcove (CSUF) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY), 8-4
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Sandford and Ermac (CSUF), 8-3