Wyoming Tennis Wins Conference Opener Over UNLV, 4-3
March 24, 2012
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The 61st ranked Wyoming Tennis team (9-6 overall, 1-0 MW) began the 2012 Mountain West season with a thrilling 4-3 win over the 67th ranked UNLV Rebels (9-6 overall, 0-1) on Saturday afternoon. It's the first time in series history that the Cowgirls have defeated the Rebels.
"This team continues to show heart in every match," said interim head Dean Clower. "We executed in every spot and competed to the full extent. We need to enjoy this now but we have our work cut out for us tomorrow against San Diego State."
The Cowgirls got off to a solid start as they won two of three doubles matches to earn the first point of the day. The 61st ranked team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici defeated Aleksandra Josifoska and Nives Pavlovic, 8-6. Lucia Batta and Manon de Lanlay evened it up with an 8-3 win over Sasa Nemcova and Alexandra Kovacs. The freshman team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova notched the point with a dominate 8-0 victory over Anett Ferenczi-Bako and Ella Bourchier.
It was a real battle in singles action as it came down to the final three matches with one junior and two freshmen. UNLV got on the board with the 59th ranked Batta defeating Popovici, 6-3, 6-3. Josifoska also won in two sets, 6-3, 7-6, against Synkova. Alexandra Kovacs won the first set, 6-1, but fell, 7-5, 6-0, to Pavlovic. Wyoming would rally beginning with Nemvoca who needed three sets to beat de Lanlay, 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-4. Freshman Parizher lost the first set 6-2, but comeback on the next two sets, 6-2, 6-1, to defeat Ferenczi-Bako. In the sixth position match, Zhelyazkova helped the Cowgirls earn the victory with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Bourchier.
The Cowgirls will wrap up the weekend tomorrow against the San Diego State Aztecs. The match is set for 11:00 a.m. MT in San Diego.
Wyoming 4, UNLV 3
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. #61 Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Aleksandra Josifoska/Nives Pavlovic (UNLV), 8-6
2. Lucia Batta/Manon de Lanlay (UNLV) def. Sasa Nemcova/Alexandra Kovacs (WYO), 8-3
3. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako/Ella Bourchier (UNLV), 8-0
1. #59 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO), 6-3, 6-3
2. #125 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Simona Synkova (WYO), 6-3, 7-6
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO), 1-6, 7-5, 6-0
4. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) def. Manon de Lanlay (UNLV), 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-4
5. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV), 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Ella Bourchier (UNLV), 6-2, 6-4