Wyoming Tennis Has Strong Showing in 7-0 Win Over Colorado State
March 30, 2013
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Cowgirl tennis team earned their second conference win of the season as they defeated the Colorado State Rams, 7-0, on Saturday in Laramie. They are now 8-7 overall and 2-0 in MW play this spring.
"This was a great way to send our seniors out," said head coach Dean Clower. "I thought we played great doubles and were mentally tough in singles. We are happy to be 2-0 in conference play and look forward to taking it further the rest of the way."
Wyoming came out and dominated doubles action to win the first point of the day. The team of Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova opened things up with an 8-2 win over Natalie Heffron and Adriana Wojakowska. They were followed by Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova who defeated Mollie Cooper and Abby Stevens, 8-2. In the final match of the day, Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova earned an 8-3 victory against Kayley Schultz and Kendall Heitzner.
That momentum carried over to singles action as Wyoming swept all six matches. Kovacs and Nemcova gave the Cowgirls a 3-0 lead with their singles victories. Nemcova defeated Wojakowska, 6-2, 6-0, while Kovacs won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, against Schultz. Zhelyazkova clinched the match for Wyoming as she won 6-3, 6-0 over Lauren Pick. At the number two position, Synkova needed three sets to beat Heffron, 6-1, 6-7, 6-4. In the final match of the day, Parizher won the first set 7-5 over Heitzner but lost 6-0 in the second. She would come back and win in a battle 10-8 in the third set to win the match, 7-5, 0-6, 10-8.
Wyoming will continue conference play on the road next week with two matches. They will take on the 66th ranked Fresno State Bulldogs, on Thursday April 4, and the Nevada Wolf Pack, on Friday, April 5. Both matches will be played in Fresno, Calif.
Wyoming 7 Colorado State 0
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Abby Stevens (CSU), 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU), 6-1, 6-7, 6-4
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Kendall Heitzner (CSU), 7-5, 0-6, 10-8
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Lauren Pick (CSU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 4,3,6,2,1,5
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Schultz/Heitzner (CSU), 8-3
2. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) def. Heffron/Wojakowska (CSU), 8-2
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Mollie Cooper/Stevens (CSU), 8-2
Order of finish: 2,3,1
Wyoming 8-7 overall, 2-0 MW
Colorado State 3-9, 0-2 MW