Women's Tennis Cruises To 7-0 Win Over New Mexico
April 1, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego State women's tennis team earned a 7-0 sweep of New Mexico on Sunday afternoon at Fertitta Tennis Complex on the campus of UNLV. With the win, SDSU improves to 7-7 and 3-1 in conference play, while the Lobos drop to 7-9 on the season and 0-4 in the MW.
In doubles, the Aztecs notched two victories to win the point. At number two, Alicia Aguilar and Julia Wais defeated Michaela Oldani and Kristin Eggleston by the score of 8-3. Emma Cioffi and Laura Antonana Iriarte, meanwhile, picked up an 8-6 win against Nikolina Grback and Alyssa Caffey at number three.
SDSU earned straight-set wins in number one through six singles. Julia Wais cruised to a 7-6, 7-5 victory against Michaela Bezdickova. Emma Cioffi earned a 6-1, 6-4 win against Kristin Eggleston. Laura Antonana Iriarte was also victorious, defeating Maria Sablina, 6-4, 6-4.
Alicia Aguilar, meanwhile, defeated Alyssa Caffey by the score of 6-1, 6-1. Sierra Ellison tallied a 6-4, 7-5 win against Nikolina Grback. Kristin Buth wrapped up the victories for the Aztecs with a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Michaela Oldani.
San Diego State returns to action on April 7 when it faces off with Boise State at the United States Air Force Academy.
San Diego State 7, New Mexico 0
Sunday, April 1, 2012
Fertitta Tennis Complex | Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Michaela Bezdickova/Maria Sablina (UNM) def. Roxanne Ellison / Sierra Ellison (SDSU) --- 8-2
2. Alicia Aguilar / Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Michaela Oldani/Kristin Eggleston (UNM) --- 8-3
3. Emma Cioffi / Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Nikolina Grback/Alyssa Caffey (UNM) --- 8-6
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Michaela Bezdickova (UNM) --- 7-6, 7-5
2. Emma Cioffi (SDSU) def. Kristin Eggleston (UNM) --- 6-1, 6-4
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Maria Sablina (UNM) --- 6-4, 6-4
4. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Alyssa Caffey (UNM) --- 6-1, 6-1
5. Sierra Ellison (SDSU) def. Nikolina Grback (UNM) --- 6-4, 7-5
6. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Michaela Oldani (UNM) --- 6-1, 6-3