No. 55 WT Opens MW Play With 4-3 Win Over UNLV
April 5, 2013
SAN DIEGO - On Friday afternoon, the 55th-ranked San Diego State women's tennis team opened its Mountain West play with a close win over No. 71 UNLV at Aztec Tennis Center. The Aztecs took an early lead by taking the doubles point and snapped up enough singles wins to take the match, 4-3. With the win SDSU moves up to 12-4 overall and 1-0 in conference play on the season.
The day began with doubles action with court No. 2 seeing the first finish of the match. Julia Wais and Kristin Buth put San Diego State on the board with a win over Aleksandra Josifoska and Janine Erasmus, 8-3. Lucia Batta and Nives Pavlovic evened things up in first doubles by topping Laura Antonana Iriarte and Michela Casanova, 8-3. The point came down to Alicia Aguilar and Isabelle Hoorn on court No. 3. The Aztec duo would clinch the point by downing Iren Kotseva and Ella Bourchier, 8-4.
With a 1-0 lead over the Rebels established, Antonana Iriarte would extend the cushion with a win over Pavlovic in third singles, 6-1, 6-2. On court No. 6, Casanova would give SDSU a 3-0 lead by defeating Kotseva, 6-2, 6-3. UNLV would get on the board with a win by No. 90 Batta in second singles over Aguilar, 6-4, 6-4. On court No.1, 32nd-ranked Josifoska would cut the Aztecs lead, bringing the score to 3-2 by getting past Wais, 6-2, 6-3. In fifth singles, Nguyen fell to Erasmus, 6-2, 6-3, bringing the score to 3-all. The match would come down to court No. 4 with Buth and Anett Ferenczi-Bako fighting for the decision. With both team's conference-opening match on the line, Buth once again proved to be the closer for San Diego State as she dismissed Ferenczi-Bako, 6-2, 6-3.
The Aztecs will be back on the courts tomorrow, April 6 at noon to take on New Mexico at Aztec Tennis Center.
No. 55 San Diego State 4, No. 71 UNLV 3
Aztec Tennis Center
San Diego, Calif.
1. Lucia Batta/Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Laura Antonana Iriarte/Michela Casanova (SDSU) - 8-3
2. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Aleksandra Josifoska/Janine Erasmus (UNLV) - 8-3
3. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) def. Iren Kotseva/Ella Bourchier (UNLV) - 8-4
(Order of finish: 2, 1, 3)
1. No. 32 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Julia Wais (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 90 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) - 6-4, 6-4
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) - 6-1, 6-2
4. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) - 6-0, 6-3
5. Janine Erasmus (UNLV) def. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-3
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-3
(Order of finish: 3, 6, 2, 1, 5, 4)