WT Downs Fresno State, 4-3; Stays Atop MW Standings
April 13, 2013
LAS VEGAS - On Saturday morning, the 48th-ranked San Diego State women's tennis team remained undefeated in conference play, defeating No. 55 Fresno State in a nail biter, 4-3. The Bulldogs had been the only other team in the Mountain West to post a perfect league record. With the win, the Aztecs remain atop conference standings and move up to 15-4 overall and 4-0 in league play.
SDSU fell behind early, dropping the doubles point to the Bulldogs. Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts topped Julia Wais and Kristin Buth in second doubles, 8-4. In third doubles, Aishwarya Agrawal and Olga Kirpicheva got past Alicia Aguilar and Isabelle Hoorn, 8-2. Completing the sweep, Rana Sherif Ahmed and Melissa McQueen defeated Michela Casanova and Laura Antonana Iriarte on court No. 1, 8-2.
The Aztecs wouldn't be discouraged and would stage a rally in singles play. Antonana Iriarte was the first to put SDSU on the board by downing McQueen, 6-3, 6-0. On court No. 4, Watts put the Bulldogs back on top, 2-1, by picking up the win over Buth, 6-1, 6-2. Freshman Tami Nguyen would even things out for San Diego State in fifth singles, dismissing Modoc, 6-4, 7-5. On court No. 1, Wais would extend the lead for SDSU, defeating Sherif Ahmed, 6-4, 6-4. Second singles would see Fresno State catch up as Agrawal took Aguilar to three sets, eventually coming out on top, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5. The match between the league's two top teams would come down to the wire, in sixth singles, and would not disappoint. Casanova And Kirpicheva fought for their respective teams with the Aztec claiming the win, 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-2.
San Diego State will get back on the courts tomorrow at 10 am when it will face Nevada to continue Mountain West play.
No. 48 San Diego State 4, No. 55 Fresno State 3
Fertitta Tennis Complex
Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Michela Casanova/Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) - 8-2
2. Bianca Modoc/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) - 8-4
3. Aishwarya Agrawal/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) - 8-2
(Order of finish: 2, 3, 1)
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) - 6-4, 6-4
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) - 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) - 6-3, 6-0
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-2
5. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) - 6-4, 7-5
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) - 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-2
(Order of finish: 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 6)