'Dogs Edged By Aztecs For First MW Loss
April 13, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
LAS VEGAS, Nev. --- The No. 55 Fresno State women's tennis team dropped its first conference match of the season Saturday morning to No. 48 San Diego State in a neutral site match at UNLV. Despite winning the doubles point, the 'Dogs were only able to win two singles matches and the Aztecs won the match 4-3.
"I'm proud of the girls because we always fight hard and have a ton of heart," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "It's unfortunate that we came up a little short against a very good San Diego State team. We were one set away from being the top team in the conference and I know that we can learn from this and make ourselves better."
Fresno State got off to a great start in doubles with a complete sweep. Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed cruised to an 8-2 win at the top spot, Sophie Watts and Bianca Modoc remain undefeated at No. 2 with a 8-4 victory and Aishwarya Agrawal and Olga Kirpicheva won their fourth straight on court three 8-2.
For the first time all season, the Bulldogs won the doubles point and failed to win at least three singles matches.
Watts continued her hot streak, winning her ninth straight, as she dominated 6-1, 6-2 over Kristin Buth at No. 4. Agrawal picked up the other win for the Bulldogs as she secured a tightly contested match on court two. Her 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 over Alicia Aguilar is the sophomore's fourth straight win.
The 'Dogs are back in action tomorrow versus UNLV at 10 a.m. in Las Vegas. This is the second meeting the season between the schools this season with the Bulldogs taking the first 5-2 in January.
#48 San Diego State 4, #55 Fresno State 3
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-4, 6-4
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
3. Laura Iriarte (SDSU) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 6-3, 6-0
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 6-4, 7-5
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
1. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Laura Iriarte/Michela Casanova (SDSU) 8-2
2. Sophie Watts/Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Kristin Buth/Julia Wais (SDSU) 8-4
3. Aishwarya Agrawal/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) 8-2
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - All Fresno State home tennis matches can be followed with live results on gobulldogs.com.