'Dogs Fall 4-3 To Rebels
April 14, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
LAS VEGAS, Nev. --- The No. 55 Fresno State women's tennis team suffered its second consecutive 4-3 loss Sunday morning as the 'Dogs fell to UNLV in Las Vegas.
"Today we played better in singles," said head coach Ryan Stotland, "But in doubles, we came out just going through the motions. We played a tough UNLV team that we had already beaten once, but they played a little better at home."
The 'Dogs dropped a heartbreaking doubles point in which the Rebels took three extremely close matches. Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts dropped their first match of the season at No. 2 as Aleksandra Josifoska and Janine Erasmus won in a tiebreak 9-8 (7-1). The Rebels then clinched the point as Lucia Batta and Nives Pavlovic edged Rana Sherif Ahmed and Melissa McQueen 9-7. UNLV claimed the final match as Ella Bourchier and Iren Kotseva defeated Olga Kirpicheva and Aishwarya Agrawal in another tiebreaker 9-8 (7-3).
In singles play, No. 89 Batta put the Rebels ahead 2-0 as she topped Agrawal 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2. Modoc put Fresno State on the board as she beat Erasmus 6-1, 6-4. Senior McQueen tied the match at 2-2 for the Bulldogs as she won the first set in a tiebreak, then dominated the second 6-1.
UNLV then pulled in front for good as the Rebels picked up wins from Kotseva, 7-6, 6-2 over Kirpicheva, and No. 34 Josifoska, 6-4, 6-4 over Ahmed to clinch the match. Watts rounded out the day for the 'Dogs, rallying from dropping the first set 2-6, and taking the next two 6-4, 6-2 four her tenth consecutive singles victory.
The 'Dogs will wrap up the conference regular season next weekend in Boise, Idaho as they take on Boise State and New Mexico.
UNLV 4, #55 Fresno State 3
1. #34 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-6, 6-4
2. #89 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-3, 6-1
3. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 7-6, 6-1
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Janine Erasmus (UNLV) 6-1, 6-4
6. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 7-6, 6-2
1. Lucia Batta/Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Melissa McQueen (FS) 9-7
2. Bianca Modoc/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Aleksandra Josifoska/Janine Erasmus (UNLV) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Ella Bourchier/Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Olga Kirpicheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 9-8 (7-3)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,4,6,1,3)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - All Fresno State home tennis matches can be followed with live results on gobulldogs.com.