Cowgirl Tennis Sweeps New Mexico, 7-0, To Close Out Weekend
April 14, 2013
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team wrapped up their weekend with a 7-0 victory against the New Mexico Lobos on Sunday morning. They are now 9-10 overall and 3-3 in MW play this spring.
"I was proud of the way we came out and competed after a tough loss yesterday," said head coach Dean Clower. "We came out like we should on back to back days. We are on the right track and excited to get back to work this week."
The Cowgirls opened up the match by winning the doubles point. Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova defeated Michaela Bezdickova and Laura Richardson, 8-5, while Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova clinched the point with their 8-3 win over Michaela Oldani and Sarah Mahboob Khan. Sophomores Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova rebounded from yesterday and defeated Nikolina Grbac and Kristin Eggleston, 8-5.
It was a clean sweep in singles action for Wyoming as they took all six matches. At the number one position, Popovici defeated Bezdickova, 4-6, 7-5, 10-5. She was followed by Synkova who defeated Grbac, 6-0, 6-0, and Kovacs over Khan, 6-2, 6-2. Nemcova won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, over Eggleston, as did Parizher against Oldani, 6-1, 6-2. Zhelyazkova won at her sixth spot, 2-6, 6-3, 10-8.
The Cowgirls will wrap up the conference season next weekend in Ft. Collins. They will play the San Diego State Aztecs, on Friday, April 19, and the UNLV Lady Rebels, on Saturday, April 20.
Wyoming 7, New Mexico 0 April 14, 2013 USAFA, Colo.
1. Popovici/Synkova (UW) def. Bezdickova/Richardson, 8-5
2. Kovacs/Nemcova (UW) def. Oldani/Khan, 8-3
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Grbac/Eggleston, 8-5
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Michaela Bezdickova, 4-6, 7-5, (10-5)
2. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Nikolina Grbac, 6-0, 6-0
3. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Sarah Mahboob Khan, 6-2, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Kristin Eggleston, 6-2, 6-4
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Michaela Oldani, 6-1, 6-2
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Laura Richardson, 2-6, 6-3, (10-8)