Tennis Recap: Rams fall in home finale 7-0
April 14, 2012
By Amanda Bader
Athletic Media Relations
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The Colorado State women's tennis team was defeated Saturday evening at the Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility by a dual score of 7-0 to conference-rival Wyoming.
The victory over CSU pushed the Pokes to a record of 12-8, 3-3 MW, while forcing the Rams back to 5-13, 0-6 MW.
In doubles, Wyoming quickly swept in to tally victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. At the No. 2 position, the Rams continued to battle, forcing their match to a tie-breaking decision in order to defeat the Pokes, 8-7 (5).
Wyoming maintained domination on the courts as the singles matches began. The Pokes claimed straight victories at the Nos. 1, 3, and 4 positions.
Then at No. 2 singles, Natalie Heffron shoed a glimpse of hope for the Rams as she forced her match to a third-set tie-breaking decision before eventually falling, 6-2, 3-6, 10-8.
The final two matches left on the courts were Veronika Wojakowska and Emese Kardhordo.
Wojakowska was first to finish, falling in a close 6-2, 6-4 loss. Kardhordo also fell short after being defeated 7-6(4), 6-4 to Wyoming's Silviya Zhelyazkova.
After concluding season play at home Saturday, the Rams will return to the courts Friday to face Air Force in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Colorado State 0, Wyoming 7
Miramont Indoor Tennis Facility
Fort Collins, Colo. | April 14, 2012
1. Popovici/Synkova (UW) def. Arneson/Schultz (CSU) 8-3
2. Kardhordo/Mulhern (CSU) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (UW) 8-7 (5)
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (UW) def. A.Wojakowska/V.Wojakowska (CSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Tori Arneson (CSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
3. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Kaley Schultz (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Lauren Mulhern (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU)6-2, 6-4
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Emese Kardhordo (CSU) 7-6 (4), 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4*, 2, 5, 6