Women's Tennis Sweeps UCSD; Celebrates Senior Day
April 16, 2013
SAN DIEGO - Tuesday afternoon saw the San Diego State women's tennis team complete its home schedule and send off its two seniors in winning fashion as the 41st-ranked Aztecs swept UC San Diego, 7-0. SDSU celebrated Senior Day at Aztec Tennis Center before its final home match of the season. With the win, San Diego State is now 17-4 overall on the season and extends its winning streak to 10 consecutive matches.
Action got underway with doubles play as senior Julia Wais and partner Kristin Buth made quick work of Jacquelyn Davis and Paula Chou on court No. 1, 8-1. Second doubles saw SDSU's other senior, Alicia Aguilar, and doubles teammate Laura Antonana Iriarte clinch the point by downing Melissa Breisacher and Kyra Scott, 8-6. Tara Vanooteghen and Melinda Chu notched the only win for the Tritons on court No. 3, over Michela Casanova and Isabelle Hoorn, 8-7 (4).
Wais would once again finish off her UC San Diego opponent first. The Aztec senior dismissed Breisacher in first singles, 6-0, 6-1. On court No. 3, Antonana Iriarte handled Scott, 7-5, 6-1, just as Dora Somoracz defeated Sherise Lum in sixth singles, 6-1, 6-4. On court No. 5, Casanova downed Davis, 6-0, 6-4, while one court over in fourth singles, Tami Nguyen defeated Vanooteghem, 7-5, 6-3. SDSU senior Aguilar would cap off the sweep by topping Scott in second singles, 7-5, 6-1.
San Diego State will look to maintain its hold on first place in league standings and will get back into Mountain West play on Thursday when the team will travel to Fort Collins, Colo., to take on Colorado State. The Aztecs will also face Wyoming and Air Force while in Colorado. The trip to the Rocky Mountain state will mark the conclusion of SDSU's conference play for the season.
No. 41 San Diego State 7, UC San Diego 0
Aztec Tennis Center
San Diego, Calif.
1. Alicia Aguilar/Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Melissa Breisacher/Kyra Scott (UCSD) - 8-6
2. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Jacquelyn Davis/Paula Chou (UCSD) - 8-1
3. Tara Vanooteghem/Melinda Chu (UCSD) def. Michela Casanova/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) - 8-7 (4)
(Order of finish: 2, 1, 3)
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Melissa Breisacher (UCSD) - 6-0, 6-1
2. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Kyra Scott (UCSD) - 7-5, 6-1
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Paula Chou (UCSD) - 6-1, 6-2
4. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Tara Vanooteghem (UCSD) - 7-5, 6-3
5. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD) - 6-0, 6-4
6. Dora Somoracz (SDSU) def. Sherise Lum (UCSD) - 6-1, 6-4
(Order of finish: 1, 3, 6, 5, 4, 2)