Wyoming Tennis Has Season Ended By Top Seed TCU, 4-0
April 28, 2012
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
In the semifinals of the 2012 MWC Tennis Championships, the Wyoming Tennis team (14-9 overall, 5-2 MWC) had their season ended by the 32nd ranked and number one seed TCU Frogs, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon in San Diego.
"TCU is a good team," said head coach Dean Clower. "We finished the year the same way we started, playing Cowgirl Tennis. Today we just came up short. I am so proud of this team and how they have played all year. Thanks again for all the support we have received from the fans all season. We are excited for the future of Wyoming tennis."
The match was very close to begin as it went down to the wire in doubles play. TCU won the first match of the day as Kelsey Sundaram and Federica Denti defeated Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova, 8-3. Despite being up early in the match, the team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova lost 8-6 to Gaby Mastromarino and Simona Parajova which clinched the point for the Frogs. The top team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova were all tied up with Millie Nichols and Olivia Smith, 6-6.
In singles action, TCU would just need three points in order to win the set and the Cowgirls couldn't gain any momentum. Synkova lost to 119th ranked Parajova, 6-1, 6-3, at the number two spot, while Popovici fell to Stefanie Tan in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, to give the Frogs a 3-0 advantage. Despite a good effort from UW, TCU would earn their fourth point and the victory as Zhelyazkova was defeated by Mastromarino, 6-1, 6-1.
In other action, Kovacs won the first set over Olivia Smith, 6-1, but was down 5-4 in the second. Parizher also won the first set 6-3, lost in the second 6-1, and was up 2-1 against Denti while Nemcova lost the first set 7-6 and was down 5-0 before the match was called.
Wyoming finishes their season 14-9 overall and 5-2 in Mountain West Conference play. The 14 wins ties for the most wins in school history which was set the previous two seasons. It also marks the first in the programs history they've had back to back to back winning seasons.
Top-Seeded TCU 4, Fourth-Seeded Wyoming 0
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. #49 Millie Nichols/Olivia Smith (TCU) vs. #51 Veronica Popovici/Simona Synkova (WYO), 6-6, unfinished
2. Federica Denti/Kelsey Sundaram (TCU) def. Szandi Kovacs/Sasa Nemvoca (WYO), 8-3
3. Gaby Mastromarino/Simona Parajova (TCU) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyzkova (WYO), 8-6
1. #78 Stefanie Tan (TCU) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO), 6-4, 6-1
2. #119 Simona Parajova (TCU) def. Simona Synkova (WYO), 6-1, 6-3
3. Olivia Smith (TCU) vs. Alexandra Kovacs (Wyoming), 1-6, 5-4, unfinished
4. Millie Nichols (TCU) vs. Sasa Nemcova (WYO), 7-6 (2), 5-0, unfinished
5. Federica Denti (TCU) vs. Jessica Parizher (WYO), 6-3, 1-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Silviya Zhelyzkova (WYO), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish
Doubles: 2, 3