Eight Mountain West Student-Athletes Named 2012 AVCA All-West Region
Dec. 4, 2012
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Eight Mountain West volleyball student-athletes were named to the 2012 American Volleyball Coaches Association All-West Region team today. 2012 Mountain West Player of the Year Dana Cranston (Sr., OH) is joined on the team by her Colorado State teammate Megan Plourde (Sr., MB), Boise State's Liz Harden (Sr., RS), New Mexico's Chantale Riddle (So., RS), San Diego State's Andrea Hannasch (Sr., MB) and Johnna Fouch (Jr., S), and Wyoming's Jodi Purdy (Sr., OH). Receiving honorable mention was Colorado State's Brieon Paige (Sr., MB).
Eight All-Region honorees are the second-most named from the league, matching the mark from 2007 and 2009. This season marks the 14th consecutive season that the Mountain West was represented on the AVCA All-Region squad. Since 1999, 79 MW student-athletes have earned all-region accolades and 51 have gone on to garner All-America status. The 2012 All-America team will be announced on Wednesday, December 12.
Mountain West All-Region notes
- Boise State: Harden is the first Bronco to earn All-Region honors since 1993 (Kristen Dutto, second team).
- Colorado State: Plourde is a four-time All-Region honoree for the Rams. She is the only honoree in league history to earn the accolade every season of her career. It is the sixth consecutive season that CSU has placed multiple student-athletes on the All-Region team (Cranston, Plourde and Paige).
- New Mexico: It is the fifth consecutive year that the Lobos have placed a student-athlete on the All-Region team. Riddle is one of four sophomores to earn All-West Region honors this year.
- San Diego State: It is the second consecutive season that the Aztecs have had a student-athlete named to the All-Region team. Hannasch is one of three MW players to repeat from 2011 (Plourde and Purdy). Fouch was named to the All-Region team after earning honorable mention last year.
- Wyoming: Purdy is the first Cowgirl to earn the honor multiple times.