Ten Former Mountain West Players Selected In 2015 NFL Draft
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – A total of 10 former Mountain West football players were selected in the 2015 NFL Draft, held April 30-May 2 at the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University in Chicago, Illinois.
It is the sixth time in the last seven years, and 10th overall, that 10 or more MW players were taken in the NFL Draft.
Colorado State offensive lineman Ty Sambrailo was the first Mountain West player chosen in the 2015 draft, going 59th overall (No. 27 in the second round) to the Denver Broncos.
NFL Draft Notes From Around The Mountain West
- Seven of the 12 MW institutions (Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawai‘i, San Diego State, San José State and Wyoming) were represented in the 2015 NFL Draft.
- Fresno State had the most players taken among conference members with three, followed by Colorado State with two.
- The Bulldogs have had at least one player selected in each of the last 15 NFL Drafts, the longest-active streak in the Conference.
- With its two draftee’s this year, Colorado State had multiple selections in back-to-back years for the first time since 2000-01.
- Colorado State was one of 19 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams to have multiple selections in the first 75 picks of the draft.
- At least one MW defensive back has been chosen in the last seven
- Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson was the third quarterback chosen in the 2015 NFL Draft. The two signal-callers that went before the 2014 Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year were the first two picks in the draft, Florida State’s Jameis Winston (first overall to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Oregon’s Marcus Mariota (second overall to the Tennessee Titans). Winston (2013) and Mariota (2014) won the last two Heisman Trophy awards.
- New Orleans drafted Grayson with the 11th pick in the third round (75th overall), marking the highest pick the Saints have used on a quarterback since 1971, when they drafted would-be Hall of Famer Archie Manning in the first round.
- Speaking of the Saints, they also drafted Fresno State’s Tyeler Davison in the fifth round (154th overall). Davison becomes just the second player in Bulldog history to be picked by the Saints. Fullback Lorenzo Neal was the other New Orleans draft pick out of Fresno State in 1993.
- Davison is the first Fresno State defensive lineman drafted since 2011. Teammate Cody Wichmann, a sixth-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons, became the first offensive lineman since 2011 to be selected.
- Wichmann is the first Fresno State player taken by the St. Louis Rams since 1990.
- The Mountain West has had at least one offensive lineman selected in six of the past seven NFL drafts and multiple offensive linemen in five of the past seven.
- Boise State has touted 15 selections in the last six NFL drafts.
- Joey Iosefa is the first player from Hawai‘i to be taken in the NFL Draft since the Rainbow Warriors joined the Mountain West in 2012.