UNLV Men's Tennis' Run Ends In First Round Of NCAAs
Release courtesy of UNLV Athletics.
LOS ANGELES (UNLVRebels.com) - The UNLV men’s tennis team saw its six-match winning streak snapped in a season-ending 4-0 loss to No. 11 USC on Friday, May 13 at Marks Stadium in the First Round of the 2016 NCAA Championship.
The unranked Rebels finished the season with an overall record of 15-10 while the Trojans, who are now 15-0 against UNLV all-time, improved to 16-6 overall and will play in Saturday’s Second Round against Georgia Tech.
UNLV was competing in its first NCAA event since 2007 after winning the Mountain West Championship earlier this month. The young Rebels, who do not have a senior on the roster, dropped a thrilling doubles point to start the match. USC won on court two 6-3 and then sneaked out a 7-5 victory at the first position to clinch it. The third match was then halted with the Trojans leading 6-5.
In singles play, the hosts used their depth at the bottom of the lineup to prevail, winning straight-setters on courts 4-6. The Rebels were battling in all three of the top positions when those were halted.
“We lost a very close doubles point and then started out slowly in singles,” said UNLV head coach Owen Hambrook. “However, we were very much alive in all of the matches that didn’t finish so I think we acquitted ourselves well today. The future of UNLV tennis is certainly bright with everyone coming back and we are excited for next season.”
2016 NCAA MEN’S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
#11 USC 4, UNLV 0
May 13, 2016, at Los Angeles, CA
1. #23 Max de Vroome (USC) vs. Jakob Amilon (UNLV) 6-4, 3-4, DNF
2. #41 Nick Crystal (USC) vs. Alexandr Cozbinov (UNLV) 6-1, 4-6, 2-1 DNF
3. #69 Logan Smith (USC) vs. Ruben Alberts (UNLV) 7-6 (3), 2-2 DNF
4. #121 Thibault Forget (USC) def. Evaldo Neto (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jack Jaede (USC) def. Adam Gage-Brown (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
6. Rob Bellamy (USC) def. Richard Solberg (UNLV) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6
1. #46 Crystal/Verboven (USC) def. Amilon/Alberts (UNLV) 7-5
2. Forget/de Vroome (USC) def. Neto/Brown (UNLV) 6-3
3. Bellamy/T. Smith (USC) vs. Cozbinov/Solberg (UNLV) 6-5 DNF
Order of finish: 2, 1